Developing healthy eating habits
Talk to your healthcare provider before making any changes to your diet.
You've heard it before. Eat healthier. Add more fruits and vegetables to your diet. Sometimes it sounds easier than it is, but there are ways to make simple changes to put you on the right track. Read More Better eating habits may help you feel better.
- Eating right can give you more energy for all your daily activities, including breathing.
- Maintaining a healthy weight is important since your lungs have to work harder to breathe if you have COPD.
- Good nutrition helps your body fight infections. Close
overweight or underweight?
Good nutrition also plays a large part in your weight. And maintaining a healthy weight is especially important if you are living with COPD. Read More
if you are
Your lungs have to work harder, making breathing more difficult.
Make sure to talk to your healthcare team about your goal weight and how you can achieve it with healthy food choices and exercise.
if you are
You may feel weak and tired and be more prone to infection.
Consuming the right amount of calories for your body can give you more energy each day. When you're living with COPD, your body may use more calories to breathe than a healthy person.Close
tips for enjoying your meals
- If drinking water with meals makes you feel too full to eat, wait until you're done. Try limiting fluid intake while you're eating and drink an hour after you're finished.
- If you are prescribed continuous oxygen, wear your cannula while eating so you don't become short of breath.